Thursday, January 17, 2013

Midwife?? OB?? or Family Doctor??

 We had our first Doctors appointment yesterday and all went well! I got my first set of blood work done (wont know anything until next week) We found out that our family Doctor does not do deliveries  but can look after our prenatal care until around 20 weeks if needed and at that point she would either refer to a family Doc who does deliveries or an OB. (she also suggested a midwife but that is self referred and can be at anytime)  I know for sure that I am NOT interested in a home birth, but midwifes can work out of the hospital as well now. So many choices! We will have to look into them and see what one fits us best...but I am really hoping cookie, our youngest pup will know the answer when she wakes up! LOL





2 comments:

  1. Another option if you are doing a hospital birth is a Doula. They help in the delivery, as well a preparation of birthing plans, and can also help with postpartum and lactation consultations.

    You would still need a OB though. But they are there to help support and what not. Then you get best of both worlds kind of thing.

    We would consider a Doula, but my MIL used to do the same thing as a nurse/consult, so she is almost an uncredited Doula (years ago), so we are somewhat comfortable without. Had she not done that I would be looking closer at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to look into a Doula, We do live in a rural area so I am not sure if there is one to be found around here! That is awesome that your MIL will be there for the birth of your son or daughter! :)

    ReplyDelete