Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sunday post #2!


The great name debate!!

I work as a secretary at an early learning centre. I hear and have heard almost every name imaginable. I have never been one to judge or say something about a parent’s choice of name. Even celebrities and their wild choices for baby names doesn't faze me, After all I know how much thought and time goes into choosing the right name for your little bundle. Some people I come right out and ask “what does that name mean?” not in a rude way just my curiosity gets the best of me. I never have been meet with anything but moms and dads who are overjoyed to share why they chose the name and what it means. I love some people’s choice to go outside of the names like Matthew and Madison (nothing wrong with those names just a few of the ones I hear the most often!!)  One mom  named all three of her little girls after flowers because she herself was named after a flower, some chose a name that is mixture of both parents names mixed up to make a unique name that I have never heard before. I think it is wonderful that we as parents get this honour. So when I was meet by rude comments and harsh words by my loves family and then to my astonishment my own mom! I was sadden, We chose a name we both fell in love with, it fit with us and it was the one we just couldn’t stop thinking about. It brought us both down to hear people we care for found this name so disgusting? It wasn’t a name we had never heard before, the meaning of it is strength and courage, what parents would not want their child to have strength in times of toughness or have courage to go out into the world and be who they are and love what they do?  It has puzzled me that this two letter name has caused such uproar?!? Have any of you had such drama around your choice of name?



5 comments:

  1. I'd love to know the name! My partner was the one who named our daughter. I carried and she named. It was our own special way of giving her something to control in our pregnancy. Frankly, we got all sorts of weird looks and people always said something about her having a 'boy' name. Well sure doesn't matter, since we aren't exactly 'gender conscious." In the end, your family will love your baby regardless of their name and likely, they will have their own name for the baby anyway. My mother calls Peyton "LadyBug" LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is too funny... we did the same thing! My partner has picked the name for our child and I think it is such a great idea! I fell in love with the names she chose! I don't mind telling the name my dear love picked for our son....his name will be.....drum roll..... Oz Lee Jones!! :D Believe it or not both of our middle names just happen to be Lee!! Even my daughters middle name is Lee LOL (chosen years before we ever meet LOL) so we thought we would carry that on as a little tradition I guess!

      Delete
  2. I think the name is awesome! I think the meaning behind it is special and if it works for you and your little family, that's all that should matter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a cool name and there's always Lee if he wants to be a politician or something that he doesn't want to use his first name for.
    I just found your blog today when you commented over at The Gayby Project. Nice to find it and congrats on baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for checking out our blog! We think it is a pretty awesome name too! Yes he could always go by lee if he wishes :) guess thats like anyone, I have a few friends that have pretty common names but don't fancy them to much, so go by something else! (I myself use shortened version of my full name)
      :)

      Delete