Monday, February 4, 2013

Nope we don’t own one of those...


Note: Almost everyone I know owns one of these and let me say I think it's great & awesome for them! (and others I don't know who own one!) This is just how we feel so I hope no one gets offended. 


For a long time I have felt guild for not owning one of these, I felt less of a person on this planet, it was like a secret club I didn’t belong to and it felt shameful. When people would ask if we rented or owned I felt so awkward answering that question… I really shouldn’t have but I did! Maybe it is because society feels you should do things a certain way and owning a home is a little part of that “way”. You always hear the same old story - get married…buy a home and then have kids.  We have never felt that to be true!! So our answer is simple now “ We don’t have plans on owning a home anytime soon”
Right now renting is great and fits our needs to a T! When things brake we don’t fork out money to fix it or worry about the roof, furnace or anything like that. We love renting; We love that we can be in a great family neighborhood that maybe if we were buying would not get the opportunity to be in. The big reason though is that we don’t want to settle just yet, we have no idea where in Canada we want to live/raise our family.  Maybe we want to be a traveling family and explore every inch of this country of ours or maybe we want live on a boat in Nova Scotia...who knows :) We both live for adventure and that desire could take us anywhere!  
There is however three things I do know for sure…
1)   Life is way to short to NOT live outside the box
2)   In the end all we are left with are the experiences
3)   The only regrets you have are the risks you didn’t take   








3 comments:

  1. I can understand where you're coming from. On my original house purchase, my ex husband was supposedly the "handyman" that could fix as needed, and most of which he could, but didn't go over and above what was absolutely required.

    I had the house while single, and NOT handy. I almost had a panic, standing on a chair attempting to install curtain rods once.

    Since meeting my wife, she has whipped me into shape as far as being a little more handy. We did a full basement gut on the last house, in order to make it sellable, as well as a kitchen update and other cosmetic things upstairs, and repair all the things my ex didn't.

    She is still the Master of All thing Hardwarian, but I'm at least now a competent assistant. But while I was single with the house, I paid through the nose to have anything repaired. It isn't fun.

    We now assist in the maintenance of four houses, so we can mostly get away with not calling a repair person. If we had to call for everything we would be very broke.

    I cal also understand the allure of the gypsy lifestyle, see everywhere. My wife has slightly tamed me of that, but while single I was one job away from working in sri lanka for a while, and or Europe, or Vancouver. Around when we got married I had an offer to go to Sri Lanka for a couple months, but the idea of being away from Deb was heartbreaking, so I turned it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long story short, there does seem to be an owners versus renters club. I had never given much thought to it, but you're right about the drilled in timeline. Grow up, get married, buy a house, have kids. I haven't varied from that really, but to each their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true everybody has a different way to live life and I think it's great! It makes us who we are! I know one day we might settle but it would only be for a tiny log cabin out in the sticks somewhere nestled in nature. We day dream and talk about that log cabin a lot but I guess we just have yet to find where it should be located! :) Luckily I have always been a handy gal. I was raised by my dad who taught me a lot about home & car repairs, He owned a garage and was a mechanic for many many years! So if the time ever comes for us to own that cabin hopefully we will be ready for it!

    ReplyDelete